The Ultimate Cheat Sheet On Sororities
Just about anyone who has ever been to college or who has seen movies like “Legally Blonde” has probably wondered about joining a sorority. But what’s it really like? This ultimate guide on the real life a sorority will help new pledges, pledge with honor and existing members renew their vows.
What is a Sorority?
A sorority is definitely not the humiliating hazings and ditzy, rich snobs that only care about their wardrobes and having a good time, that you see in the movies. Instead, it is a prideful, life-long support system of goal oriented, educated women who are bound together by a strong sense of sisterhood.
Sorority life provides members with a solid foundation of amazing friends who will be there when you need them. These friends help provide both career and networking opportunities while on your life’s journey. It is a place where where women can be leaders and philanthropy and community are highly valued. It also a place where members come together to celebrate sorority life through social events, formal dances, date parties, and more.
As a sorority member, you will engage in exciting events such as hosting events to raise money for local charities, volunteering at a variety of local organizations, participating in short theater productions and musical performances, and more. If you select a leadership role, you may even serve as an officer on the board of a small corporation!
The Value of a Sorority
Sorority life prepares you for:
- Interview skills through your recruitment process
- Time management skills by balancing sorority life, school, a part-time job, and having fun
- How to respect your superiors on your job
- Courage and self respect with their no-tolerance policy on hazing and the wrong treatment of other members
- Important family values like bonding, respect, and being a supportive and loyal family member
- Tolerance because there are various members from different backgrounds, religions, personalities, nationalities, and social classes etc.
- Anger management as you learn to forgive and work out your differences between each other
- Problem solving and parenting skills as you help tutor each other
- Overcoming life’s obstacles as you help each other overcome life problems
- Planning skills as you plan different sorority events
- Budgeting skills as you plan different sorority events
- Giving back to the community through charitable and volunteer events etc.
- And More!
The act of hazing is now illegal in sorority recruitment. Instead, pledges are to complete a formal process for initiation into their chosen sorority. This process can include a number of different formal activities such as filling out a recruitment application, then following a strict dress code for which you’ll be judged during each round. Each chapter’s recruitment is different, so do your homework!
Fun Sorority Facts
Did you know that these famous people belong to a sorority?
- Carrie Underwood
- Sheryl Underwood
- Lucy Liu
- Alisha Keys
- Katie Couric
- Jennifer Garner
- Jada Pinkett Smith
- Ashley Judd
- Keshia Knight Pulliam
- Kristen Chenoweth
- Molly Sims
- Amy Grant
- And more!